Student Complaint and Grievance Process
Student grievances against NC State University, including claims that their rights under law or university policy have been violated, may be resolved by a two-step process.
Step 1 – All Students: The initial responsibility for the complaint resides with the institution. Thus, your first step as a student, regardless of residency, is to follow NC State University Student Grievance Procedures.
Step 2 – Your Residency Determines Your Next Step:
- Most Out-of-State Students: If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level (Step 1), then out-of-state students residing in NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) states, which includes all states except California and Massachusetts, may submit complaints to SARA-North Carolina. SARA-North Carolina operates under NCSEAA (North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority). Access the Complaint Form at SARA-North Carolina Student Complaint Process web page.
Contact Information for NCSEAA c/o SARA North Carolina:
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Toll free: 855.SARA.1.NC (727.2162)
Local: 919.549.8614, ext. 4667
- Students Residing in California and Massachusetts (non-NC-SARA States): If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level (Step 1), then you may refer your complaint to the appropriate agency in your state:
California: Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
Massachusetts: Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
- North Carolina Residents: If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level (Step 1), then you may refer your complaint to the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaint Process of the Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina General Administration. The policy is at Student Complaint Policy (PDF); the complaint form is at Student Complaint Form (PDF).
Contact Information for North Carolina Post Secondary Education Complaints:
North Carolina Post Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Additional Resources for Student Complaints
- Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice. To file a complaint with this agency, visit the State Attorney General’s web page. North Carolina residents may call 877.566.7226; outside of North Carolina, please call 919.716.6000.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). SACSCOC expects individuals to attempt to resolve the complaint through all means available to the complainant, including the institution’s grievance procedures, before submitting a complaint to SACSCOC. Complete information about the SACSCOC process is at SACSCOC Procedures Complaint (PDF) (the complaint form is on the last two pages).
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
- State Portal Entity Contacts. NC-SARA provides a complete list of relevant agencies with contact information for each NC-SARA state.
National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity
3005 Center Green Drive, Suite 130
Boulder, Colorado 80301