What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
High-level manager who directs construction projects from project planning through completion. Manages project budget and schedule; works closely with architects, engineers, trades workers, and clients; supervises construction on site and manages subcontractors; coordinates permits and regulatory compliance as needed for projects.
There were 143 Construction Director job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 3077 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Construction Manager industry, which includes the Construction Director career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Construction Director jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $107,411.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $94,407.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Construction Director postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $90,947.
Education and Experience
Posted Construction Director jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Construction Director jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||2%|
|3 to 5 years||20%|
|6 to 8 years||20%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Construction Director positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (44%)
- Planning (35%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (27%)
- Microsoft Excel (23%)
- Building Effective Relationships (21%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Budgeting (64%)
- Project Management (51%)
- Scheduling (47%)
- Construction Management (45%)
- Estimating (21%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Staff Management (17%)
- Procurement (15%)
- Occupational Health and Safety (13%)
- Business Development (13%)
- Quality Assurance and Control (13%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- New Construction (7%)
- Construction Industry Knowledge (6%)
- Procurement Contracts (5%)
- Residential Construction (5%)
- Managing Subcontractors (4%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Construction Operations (3%) – marginal value $4,357
- Request for Information (RFI) (2%) – marginal value $4,242
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Construction Director skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Director Of Construction
- Vice President Of Construction
- Assistant Vice President Of Construction
- Manager Of Construction
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Construction Project Manager
- Construction Manager
- Construction Site Manager
- Commercial Construction Project Manager
- Commercial Construction Manager
- Construction Superintendent
- Residential Construction Project Manager
- Pre-Construction Manager
- Commercial Construction Superintendent
- Residential Construction Manager
Here are the employers that have posted the most Construction Director jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Charter Communications (60)
- Camp Construction Services (30)
- Salesforce (28)
- Lennar Corporation (28)
- Habitat for Humanity (18)
- Mill Creek Residential Trust Llc (5)
- Concord Hospitality (5)
- Salesforce (4)
- Charter Communications (4)
- Wood (3)