News

Rachel Barkley: Navigating Environmental Assessment and Shaping a New Career Path

Rachel Barkeley NC State Online Master of Environmental Assessment Student
Rachel Barkley is a student in the Master of Environmental Assessment program from NC State Online.

For Rachel Barkley, a seasoned professional in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, the decision to enroll in the NC State online Master of Environmental Assessment program was more than a career pivot — it was a reclaiming of her passion for environmental work.

Barkley finished her undergraduate degree in 2011 and remembers still feeling the lingering impact of the 2008 economic crisis. “While I wanted to pursue an environmental job, I needed money to buy goods and services. RTP was, and is, a hotbed for pharma and biotech, so I found a job in that industry. The problem with that is the longer you stay, the harder it is to get out,” she explained.

After working in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries for over 10 years, she decided to shift her focus back to environmental stewardship. She was concerned that transitioning to this new career path would feel like starting over. To test the waters before committing to a full master’s program, Barkley first pursued a Graduate Certificate in Environmental Assessment at NC State in 2015.

Those initial first steps into graduate education highlighted the challenges that non-traditional students often encounter. “Traditional grad schools seem to want people under a certain age — I couldn’t shake the feeling that many programs want students without too much real-world experience or other commitments,” she explained. “The certificate in 2017 gave me confidence, but I realized applying to other schools that I needed to reconsider what I’d do.”

Like many working professionals, Barkley did not want to have to choose between supporting her family financially and pursuing her educational goals. The NC State Master of Environmental Assessment program offered a different approach, one where Barkley’s rich industry experience and personal commitments were not seen as impediments.

The program is designed for working professionals and can be completed entirely online. Its flexibility, coupled with her positive experience in the graduate certificate program, ultimately solidified her decision to commit to the master’s program at NC State.

Experience in the Master of Environmental Assessment Program

For Barkley, the transition from the certificate to the master’s program was almost seamless. This was largely thanks to the ability to transfer most of her credits. “Having done both, the one major difference between the certificate and the master’s is the thesis,” she said, emphasizing the flexibility of both programs.

Balancing a demanding job, rigorous academic commitments and family life was made possible due to a strong support network. “My spouse has been a huge help, and I don’t think any of my success would be possible without him,” she shared.

She also emphasized the importance of having a reliable support system beyond the classroom. She credits a circle of friends who assisted with everyday tasks — whether it was housekeeping, meal preparation, or study sessions at the library.

Barkley also found tremendous support within the program itself. She highlighted the role of faculty members like Assistant Teaching Professor Tamara Pandolfo and Professor Elizabeth Nichols in her academic journey. “Dr. Pandolfo was my adviser for my master’s and through some pretty rocky personal crises, she was great to work with,” Barkley shared.

She was particularly impressed by the program’s flexibility in accommodating unforeseen life challenges. “I’ve heard from students in so many other programs that you end up at the mercy of the program if things get really difficult or get zero accommodations. I really can’t think of any professor I don’t have a good relationship with because I always feel treated with respect and understanding,” she explained.

Advice and Future Plans

For working professionals considering an online degree, Barkley offered valuable insights. “What stood out about this program is the writing. There are a few quizzes and some assignments, but the bulk of your time will be spent researching and writing.” She also appreciated the program’s focus on allowing students to explore topics of personal interest.

Barkley encourages prospective students to leverage the supportive nature of the program. “Every professor tries to work with you and always tries to be available for your questions,” she said. For those juggling demanding jobs, she advises maintaining close communication with professors to navigate the challenges of balancing work and academic commitments.

She is already experiencing the benefits of her studies in her professional life. “Doing the certificate actually helped me formulate and figure out the topic of my master’s thesis,” she shared. The thesis, which blends her background in pharma with her environmental studies, is a source of pride and something she hopes to publish soon.

Looking to the future, Barkley sees her degree as a critical step toward pivoting to a new career in environmental assessment.

When asked about her plans for celebrating her graduation, she is committed to keeping it simple. “I haven’t thought about going to a commencement ceremony. I think I’ll just want to have a nice trip or dinner with my family.”

Barkley moves forward, knowing that she is equipped with the skills to shift into a new career with confidence. With the right support, she is prepared to overcome life’s obstacles while in pursuit of a dream worth chasing.

Interested in advancing your career with the online Master of Environmental Assessment degree from NC State Online? Visit the program page or online.ncsu.edu/programs for a full list of degree and certificate programs.