What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Serves as chief academic officer at a college or university. Directly oversees the academic deans of various schools within a university system, as well as the heads of various interdisciplinary units and academic support functions, such as libraries, student services, the registrar, admissions, and IT. Reports in turn to the institution's chief executive officer or president. Responsible for oversight of all educational affairs and activities, including research and academic personnel.
There were 17 Provost job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 492 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the College / University Administrator industry, which includes the Provost career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Provost jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $96,707.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $80,175.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Provost postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $69,558.
Education and Experience
Posted Provost jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Provost jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||7%|
|3 to 5 years||52%|
|6 to 8 years||18%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Provost positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Research (56%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (50%)
- Communication Skills (48%)
- Planning (48%)
- Creativity (27%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Budgeting (50%)
- Teaching (44%)
- Strategic Planning (33%)
- Program Development (15%)
- Fundraising (9%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Staff Management (16%)
- Scheduling (10%)
- Administrative Support (9%)
- Project Management (8%)
- Policy Development (7%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Academic Advisement (7%)
- Educational Programs (7%)
- Academic Support Services (5%)
- Collective Bargaining (5%)
- Fiscal Management (4%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Collective Bargaining (5%) – marginal value $3,570
- Strategic Enrollment Management (2%) – marginal value $3,545
- Policy Development (7%) – marginal value $3,487
- Strategic Communications (1%) – marginal value $3,324
- Staff Development (3%) – marginal value $3,058
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Provost skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Provost And Vice President For Academic Affairs
- Secretary - Office Of The Vice Provost
- Vice Provost
- Executive Vice President And Provost
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Dean of Academic Affairs
- Dean of Academic Division
- Associate Dean, Higher Education
- Dean (General)
- Dean of Students
- Director of Student Affairs
- Program Director, Higher Education
- Campus Director
- Administrator, Higher Education
- Student Affairs Administrator
Here are the employers that have posted the most Provost jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- University of North Carolina (13)
- Tufts University (9)
- CUNY (8)
- California State University (8)
- Stonehill College (8)
- University of North Carolina (11)
- North Carolina State University (2)
- California State University (1)
- East Carolina University (1)
- Employer Guilford College Dept Of Justice And Policy Studies (1)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!