Director of Institutional Research
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Oversees institutional research and studies for a college or university. Designs and leads studies evaluating the effectiveness of the institution's programs and policies. Manages data collection and analysis with regards to these questions, and directs formulation of research reports.
There were 1 Director of Institutional Research job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 64 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the College / University Administrator industry, which includes the Director of Institutional Research career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Director of Institutional Research jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $72,134.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $58,884.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Director of Institutional Research postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $61,976.
Education and Experience
Posted Director of Institutional Research jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Director of Institutional Research jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||2%|
|3 to 5 years||74%|
|6 to 8 years||11%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Director of Institutional Research positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Research (100%)
- Planning (66%)
- Communication Skills (61%)
- Microsoft Excel (39%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (30%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Institutional Effectiveness (45%)
- SPSS (45%)
- Strategic Planning (38%)
- SAS (31%)
- Statistical Analysis (31%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Surveys (19%)
- Data Management (14%)
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) (14%)
- Project Management (14%)
- Data Mining (13%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Quantitative Research (6%)
- Statistical Reporting (6%)
- Strategic Enrollment Management (6%)
- Academic Advisement (5%)
- Higher Education Administration (5%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Policy Development (5%) – marginal value $1,687
- Strategic Analysis (2%) – marginal value $1,028
- Higher Education Administration (5%) – marginal value $893
- Statistical Reporting (6%) – marginal value $799
- Workforce Development (3%) – marginal value $788
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Director of Institutional Research skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Director Of Institutional Research
- Director Of Enrollment Research And Analytics
- Associate Vice Chancellor, Institutional Research And Academic Process
- Director, Enrollment Services Research & Reporting
- Director Of Enrollment Research And Evaluation
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Director of Student Affairs
- Dean of Academic Affairs
- Dean (General)
- Associate Dean, Higher Education
- Dean of Academic Division
- Dean of Students
- Program Director, Higher Education
- Student Affairs Administrator
- Program Coordinator, Higher Education
Here are the employers that have posted the most Director of Institutional Research jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Creighton University (4)
- CUNY (3)
- Simpson University (2)
- St Louis Community College (2)
- University of Alaska (2)
- Johnson Smith University (1)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!