Manufacturing Product Design Engineer
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Responsible for the design of a new product, with specific reference to the manufacturing processes behind it. May also be partially responsible for engineering of materials, graphic design, ergonomics and aesthetics of the product.
There were 12 Manufacturing Product Design Engineer job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 294 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Industrial Designer industry, which includes the Manufacturing Product Design Engineer career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Manufacturing Product Design Engineer jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $90,239.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $85,093.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Manufacturing Product Design Engineer postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $81,927.
Education and Experience
Posted Manufacturing Product Design Engineer jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Manufacturing Product Design Engineer jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||15%|
|3 to 5 years||60%|
|6 to 8 years||20%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Manufacturing Product Design Engineer positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Problem Solving (40%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (39%)
- Communication Skills (37%)
- Creativity (21%)
- Microsoft Office (19%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Design for Manufacture/Design for Assembly (DFM/DFA) (100%)
- Product Design (72%)
- Mechanical Engineering (52%)
- Finite Element Analysis (41%)
- Product Development (41%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Industrial Design (18%)
- Machining (17%)
- Consumer Electronics (17%)
- Simulation (16%)
- Computer Aided Drafting/Design (CAD) (15%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Design for Six Sigma (7%)
- Automotive Engineering (6%)
- PTC Creo (6%)
- Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) (6%)
- Component Design (5%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Medical Device Design (3%) – marginal value $1,420
- Supplier Development (2%) – marginal value $1,132
- Engineering Change Orders (4%) – marginal value $1,046
- Engineering Leadership (2%) – marginal value $1,002
- Process Validation (2%) – marginal value $997
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Manufacturing Product Design Engineer skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Product Design Engineer
- Senior Product Engineer
- Product Design Engineer, Facebook Reality Labs
- Lead Product Engineer
- Senior Product Design Engineer
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Product Design Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Mechanical Product Design Engineer
- Automotive Product Design Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Mechatronics Engineer
- Industrial Designer
- Automotive Engineer
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Test Engineer
Here are the employers that have posted the most Manufacturing Product Design Engineer jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Facebook (27)
- Apple Inc. (19)
- The Home Depot Incorporated (6)
- Stanley Black & Decker (6)
- Plexus (6)
- Stanley Black & Decker (3)
- Sturm, Ruger And Amp Company, Inc (2)
- Afl Global (2)
- Zoetis, Inc (1)
- Sturm Ruger Company Incorporated (1)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!