What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Designs and develops plastics materials and molds and products made with plastic. Researches and develops new plastics materials and production processes.
There were 6 Plastics Engineer job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 166 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Materials Engineer industry, which includes the Plastics Engineer career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Plastics Engineer jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $81,604.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $91,798.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Plastics Engineer postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $73,020.
Education and Experience
Posted Plastics Engineer jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Plastics Engineer jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||19%|
|3 to 5 years||48%|
|6 to 8 years||23%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Plastics Engineer positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Problem Solving (45%)
- Communication Skills (34%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (28%)
- Troubleshooting (28%)
- Microsoft Office (27%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Project Management (29%)
- Packaging (24%)
- Technical Support (24%)
- Manufacturing Processes (19%)
- Materials Selection (17%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Six Sigma (19%)
- Mechanical Engineering (18%)
- Budgeting (17%)
- Product Development (14%)
- Process Improvement (13%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- CATIA (5%)
- Design for Manufacture/Design for Assembly (DFM/DFA) (5%)
- Failure Analysis (5%)
- Process Engineering (5%)
- Tolerance Analysis (5%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Design for Manufacture/Design for Assembly (DFM/DFA) (5%) – marginal value $2,677
- Process Validation (1%) – marginal value $1,826
- Ultrasonic Welding (1%) – marginal value $1,718
- Finite Element Method / Analysis Software (1%) – marginal value $1,638
- Electromechanical Systems (1%) – marginal value $1,599
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Plastics Engineer skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Senior Plastics Engineer
- Senior Principal Engineer, Plastics Engineering
- Materials Engineer
- Plastics Molding Engineer
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Machine Tool Engineer
- Process Quality Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Materials Development Engineer
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Mechanical Project Engineer
Here are the employers that have posted the most Plastics Engineer jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Pfizer (25)
- Toyota Motors (5)
- Textron (3)
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics Incorporated (3)
- Jabil Inc (3)
- Pfizer (1)
- Newell Brands (1)
- Corning Incorporated (1)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- Engineering – 2+2 Undergraduate Degrees
- Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Certificates
- Textiles Master's Degrees