What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Manages all operations within a school, providing leadership and management to teachers and other staff. Ensures that teaching staff have the resources they need to meet the state's curriculum requirements. May be required to attend parent consultations, taking parent suggestions and discussing the educational needs of individual students.
There were 388 School Principal job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 11096 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Elementary and Secondary School Administrator industry, which includes the School Principal career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new School Principal jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $70,147.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $66,417.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for School Principal postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $43,083.
Education and Experience
Posted School Principal jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted School Principal jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||18%|
|3 to 5 years||70%|
|6 to 8 years||5%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills School Principal positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (36%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (22%)
- Planning (21%)
- Physical Abilities (13%)
- Building Effective Relationships (12%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Teaching (54%)
- Budgeting (25%)
- Special Education (11%)
- Educational Programs (9%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Staff Management (16%)
- Scheduling (13%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Staff Development (7%)
- Curriculum Development (5%)
- Lesson Planning (5%)
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with School Principal skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- High School Principal
- Elementary Principal
- Head Of School
- Elementary School Principal
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Assistant School Principal
- Director of Special Education
- Elementary and Secondary School Administrator
- Student Support Administrator
- Superintendent (Education)
- School Athletic Director
- Physical Education Teacher
- Director of Instruction / Curriculum Specialist
- Dean of Students
- English / Language Arts Teacher
Here are the employers that have posted the most School Principal jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Boston Public Schools (100)
- Placentia Yorba Linda Unified (87)
- Nelnet (77)
- K12, Inc (69)
- McDonald's (64)
- Cumberland County Schools (17)
- Carolina Ale House (11)
- Kipp New Orleans Schools (10)
- Kipp Foundation (9)
- Rowan Salisbury Schools (7)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- Education Administration and Supervision Doctoral Degrees
- English - Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- Language Arts - Middle Grades Master's Degrees
- School Administration Master's Degrees
- Social Studies - Middle Grades Master's Degrees
- Social Studies - Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- Statistics Education Graduate Certificates