Assistant School Principal
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Provides support and shares some or many of the duties of the School Principal. May oversee operations within a school, managing teachers and other staff. May be required to attend parent consultations, taking parent suggestions and discussing the educational needs of individual students.
There were 515 Assistant School Principal job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 10185 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Elementary and Secondary School Administrator industry, which includes the Assistant School Principal career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Assistant School Principal jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $76,434.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $68,356.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Assistant School Principal postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $66,857.
Education and Experience
Posted Assistant School Principal jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Assistant School Principal jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||36%|
|3 to 5 years||61%|
|6 to 8 years||3%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Assistant School Principal positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (42%)
- Planning (33%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (22%)
- Physical Abilities (21%)
- Research (17%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Teaching (69%)
- Budgeting (29%)
- Scheduling (27%)
- Staff Management (23%)
- Special Education (14%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Community Relations (9%)
- Record Keeping (9%)
- Data Analysis (7%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Lesson Planning (5%)
- Managing Student Data (4%)
- Student Placement (3%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Assessment Data (3%) – marginal value $7,551
- Teacher Development (2%) – marginal value $6,678
- Managing Student Data (4%) – marginal value $5,120
- Lesson Planning (5%) – marginal value $3,833
- Learning Styles (2%) – marginal value $3,463
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Assistant School Principal skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Assistant Principal
- High School Assistant Principal
- Elementary Assistant Principal
- Middle School Assistant Principal
- Assistant Principal - Middle School
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- School Principal
- Elementary and Secondary School Administrator
- Director of Special Education
- Student Support Administrator
- School Athletic Director
- Superintendent (Education)
- Director of Instruction / Curriculum Specialist
- Physical Education Teacher
- English / Language Arts Teacher
- Math Teacher
Here are the employers that have posted the most Assistant School Principal jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Clark County School District (149)
- Pasco County Schools (69)
- Spring Education Group (62)
- Idea Public Schools (60)
- Denver Public Schools (54)
- Johnston County Public Schools (16)
- Cabarrus County Schools (14)
- Catawba County Schools (10)
- Wake County Schools (9)
- Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools (7)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- Biology for Educators Graduate Certificates
- Educational Administration and Supervision Doctoral Degrees
- Elementary Education Master's Degrees
- English – Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- English as a Second Language Add-on Teacher Licensure
- Language Arts – Middle Grades Master's Degrees
- Mathematics – Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- School Administration Master's Degrees
- Science – Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- Social Studies – Middle Grades Master's Degrees
- Social Studies – Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- Statistics Education Graduate Certificates
- STEM Education – Engineering and Technology Master's Degrees
All wages, job posting statistics, employment trend projections, and information about skill desirability on this page represents historical data and does not guarantee future conditions. Data is provided by and downloaded regularly from Lightcast. For more information about how Lightcast gathers data and what it represents, see Lightcast Data: Basic Overview on Lightcast's Knowledge Base website.