Dean of Students
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Responds to students' needs at a college or university and plans programs for campus life and support for students. Supervises student-focused programs on a college or university campus and serves as a liaison between college administrators and student organizations.
There were 81 Dean of Students job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 1777 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the College / University Administrator industry, which includes the Dean of Students career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Dean of Students jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $66,424.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $55,168.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Dean of Students postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $52,300.
Education and Experience
Posted Dean of Students jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Dean of Students jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||22%|
|3 to 5 years||61%|
|6 to 8 years||12%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Dean of Students positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (56%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (43%)
- Planning (34%)
- Organizational Skills (23%)
- Research (18%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Teaching (49%)
- Budgeting (27%)
- Conflict Management (10%)
- Crisis Management (8%)
- Mental Health (7%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Staff Management (19%)
- Scheduling (16%)
- Strategic Planning (12%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Higher Education Administration (7%)
- Special Education (6%)
- Student Placement (5%)
- Educational Programs (5%)
- Academic Advisement (4%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Child Development (1%) – marginal value $4,595
- Student Learning Outcomes (1%) – marginal value $3,587
- Staff Development (4%) – marginal value $2,871
- Program Evaluation (1%) – marginal value $2,668
- Program Development (4%) – marginal value $2,596
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Dean of Students skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Dean Of Students
- Assistant Dean Of Students
- Dean Of Students Sy
- Dean Of Culture
- Associate Dean Of Students
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Director of Student Affairs
- Dean of Academic Affairs
- Dean (General)
- Associate Dean, Higher Education
- Dean of Academic Division
- Residential Services Administrator
- Student Affairs Administrator
- Program Director, Higher Education
- Program Coordinator, Higher Education
Here are the employers that have posted the most Dean of Students jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Uncommon Schools Incorporated (52)
- Basis Educational Group (38)
- University of Chicago (27)
- Kipp Foundation (27)
- University Of California (20)
- Winston Salem County Schools (5)
- Cabarrus County Schools (4)
- Granville County Schools (4)
- New Hanover County Schools (4)
- University of North Carolina (4)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!