How to Apply
Admission to the certificate program requires a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with at least a 3.0 GPA. Students with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA may still be considered for admission based on the remaining criteria, including other graduate coursework. These determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis. All applicants must submit:
- Transcript showing Bachelor's degree conferred
- A clear and concise personal statement/statement of interest
- A resume/CV
For students already enrolled in another graduate program at NC State: You can apply to the certificate by using the contact information above and supplying your full name and student ID number prior to enrolling in your first certificate course or during the semester in which you enroll in your first certificate course.
Students may begin taking courses for the certificate in Fall or Spring academic terms.
How to Apply
Please choose your current affiliation for specific application details:
- Prospective Students (not currently enrolled at NC State)
- Current NC State Graduate Students (non-MGIST)
- Current MGIST Students
- Current NC State Undergraduates
Prospective Students (not currently enrolled at NC State)
- Submit your application using the NC State University Graduate School Online Application.
- You must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, and a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Applicants with less than a 3.0 are still welcome to apply. Work experience, performance in individual, relevant courses, a strong graduate GPA, etc. can sometimes offset a low undergraduate GPA and we will consider all of this when making admissions decisions.
- A transcript is required when applying to the Certificate program. (An unofficial transcript can be uploaded by the applicant within the application, but it must show a degree conferral date.)
- Official Transcripts:
To be considered an official transcript, it must be sent directly from the institutions to NC State University. Most institutions have mechanisms in place to directly send an official transcript to NC State electronically. You should request your official transcripts be sent in this way if possible, or have the institution send the transcript directly using the following address:
The Graduate School
North Carolina State University
College of Textiles
1020 Main Campus Drive
Room 2320B, Campus Box 7102
Raleigh, NC 27695
- Official Transcripts:
- Resume/CV highlighting any internship/work experience and acquired skill sets
- A Personal Statement is a required component of the application, and should include:
- Career and academic goals
- Previous GIS experience, if any
- Reason for pursuing the Certificate
- Students with a GPA < 3.0 should address this in their personal statement and explain why they would still make a good candidate for the certificate.
- The GRE is NOT required
Current NC State Graduate Students (Non-MGIST)
- Notify your advisor/committee: Talk with your advisor and/or committee where appropriate to let them know you are considering the certificate program.
- Notify the certificate program: Apply for the Graduate Certificate in GIS Program by emailing your full name and student ID number prior to enrolling in your first course towards the certificate or during the semester when you enroll in your first course.
Current MGIST Students
We generally do not recommend that students currently enrolled in the MGIST retroactively receive the GIS Certificate while enrolled in the MGIST, as the MGIST is considered the terminal degree.
Undergraduate NC State Students
If you are a NC State undergraduate interested in taking courses towards the GIS Certificate, you must first talk with your advisor and email the Associate Director of Professional Education.
Per the Graduate School Policy, undergraduate students who wish to enroll in graduate level courses (500 and above) may only transfer 6 credit hours into the Certificate program for courses not taken as part of another degree requirement. Therefore, to receive the GIS Certificate, current undergraduates can only take 6 credit hours of 500 level GIS courses before graduation. Upon graduation, the student must apply to the Graduate Certificate in GIS program through the Graduate School using the steps above to complete the remaining courses. The same course restrictions apply.
Non-Degree Students (PBS)
Students enrolled in Post-baccalaureate Studies (PBS) through NC State can transfer a maximum of 6 credit hours (B or better grade) into the certificate program. PBS students wishing to do this must apply to the certificate program following the procedures above for students not currently enrolled in a graduate program to complete the remaining credits and obtain the certificate.
Application Review Process
- The Certificate Admissions Committee reviews each application and makes a recommendation to the Graduate School.
- Following that review, the NC State Graduate School will notify you of acceptance or denial to the program.
- The program sends a personalized welcome letter once you have accepted the offer and are cleared by the graduate school.
|Entry Semester||Application Deadlines and Details|
|Fall||Apr 15 (US); Mar 1 (Int)|
|Spring||Oct 15 (US); Jul 15 (Int)|