How to Apply
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university that holds regional accreditation from a recognized accrediting agency such as SACS
- 3.00 GPA or higher in prior work, as required by the Graduate School
- The GRE is no longer required for admission to the Elementary MAT program if you have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. If your GPA is below 3.0, a combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 300 on GRE is required. Scores should be no older than 5 years prior to the date of admission.
- Minimum passing score of 100 on the TOEFL AND an official course-by-course evaluation from an accredited foreign credential evaluation service required for applicants with non-U.S. degrees*
- Meet the specific requirements of content area or grade level. See specialty coursework under curriculum for content standards.
MAT in Elementary Education is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree with the following 24 semester hours in the core content areas:
- Mathematics: 6 credit hours
- Science: 6 credit hours, one with a lab
- Literature: 3 credits
- Sociology or Anthropology: 3 credits
- American History: 3 credits
- Additional Relevant Course Work: 3 credits
In the absence of a content degree, 24 semester hours/credits in content relevant to the area in which you wish to teach are needed. Candidates who are missing content area courses can take them at a local college or university or as a PBS (post-baccalaureate student) at NC State prior to admission.
If an applicant does not have the 24 content area credits needed to be accepted into the program, he or she can still enroll in the first graduate classes as a Non-Degree student (NDS) while completing the full 24 content-specific hours and transfer those credits into the degree program. Up to 12 credit hours with a grade of “B” or better can be transferred into a master’s degree program (either from NDS studies or from partner institutions). See the NC State Graduate School policies at https://www.ncsu.edu/grad/catalog/transfer-credits.html
* Please note that the Master of Arts in Teaching is an Online and Distance Education program, so students on university-sponsored visas are not eligible for this program. Please contact the Office of International Services with any questions.APPLY NOW
|Entry Semester||Application Deadlines and Details|
|Summer 1||April 1|
|Summer 2||April 1|