Biology for Educators
NC State University offers excellent opportunities for science teachers and other science professionals to stay abreast of advances in the field of biology. Through Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS), a student can complete the Graduate Certificate in Biology for Educators entirely online.
Although not a master's degree, the online Graduate Certificate in Biology for Educators may satisfy many of your needs for professional development. Should you later decide to pursue a master's degree, some coursework from this program may transfer. However, successful completion of this program does not guarantee admission to a degree program.
Two Certificate Options
Students pursue one of these certificate options:
- Certificate Option I: Students take three courses, in addition to the capstone course, The Science of Learning, for a total of 12 credit hours. They earn the Graduate Certificate in Biology for Educators.
- Certificate Option II: Students take five courses, in addition to the capstone course, The Science of Learning, for a total of 18 credit hours. They earn the Graduate Certificate in Biology for Educators, plus enough graduate-level credits to teach Advanced Placement (AP) classes at the high school level or to teach in a community college.
- Students taking the 18 credit option take two (2) additional courses. These additional two courses are particularly helpful for those who are currently licensed teachers, as these teachers will earn enough credits to teach AP courses or potentially qualify to teach at the community college level (dependent on individual community college credential requirements).
Students enrolled in the 12-credit program may take up to 4 years to complete, with 2 years being the most common program completion schedule.
The following is the most typical program completion schedule:
- One 3-credit course Summer I of Year I
- One 3-credit course Summer II of Year I
- One 3 credit course Summer I of Year II
- Complete the capstone course, The Science of Learning, Summer II of Year II.
Students may complete the program in a shorter timeframe depending on how much time they have to dedicate to the program. Classes are offered primarily during Spring and Summer on a rotating basis to accommodate teachers whose time may be limited during the school year.
Contact the program advisor to discuss your desired program completion schedule.
Science education career advancement requires deep knowledge of a specific science discipline, backed by respected science education credentials. The Online Graduate Certificate in Biology for Educators delivers the knowledge and credentials required for advancement as a science teacher.