Director of Special Education
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Responsible for the planning, development, coordination, and management of all special education programs, services, budgets and personnel. Ensures compliance with state and federal regulations governing the delivery of services to students with disabilities.
There were 51 Director of Special Education job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 2913 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Elementary and Secondary School Administrator industry, which includes the Director of Special Education career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Director of Special Education jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $71,199.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $58,601.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Director of Special Education postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $54,373.
Education and Experience
Posted Director of Special Education jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Director of Special Education jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||21%|
|3 to 5 years||68%|
|6 to 8 years||8%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Director of Special Education positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (46%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (42%)
- Planning (39%)
- Research (23%)
- Writing (21%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Special Education (50%)
- Teaching (46%)
- Budgeting (38%)
- Staff Management (23%)
- Educational Programs (8%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Scheduling (18%)
- Case Management (10%)
- Data Collection (7%)
- Project Management (7%)
- Supervisory Skills (7%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Student Placement (7%)
- Curriculum Development (5%)
- School Psychology (4%)
- Program Evaluation (4%)
- Grant Writing (4%)
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Director of Special Education skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Director Of Special Education
- Special Education Director
- Special Education Case Manager
- Director Of Special Services
- Assistant Director Of Special Education
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Student Support Administrator
- Assistant School Principal
- School Principal
- Elementary and Secondary School Administrator
- Superintendent (Education)
- School Athletic Director
- Director of Instruction / Curriculum Specialist
- Dean of Students
- Dean (General)
- Physical Education Teacher
Here are the employers that have posted the most Director of Special Education jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Boston Public Schools (52)
- Oakland Unified School District (25)
- Yes Prep Public Schools (25)
- Idea Public Schools (24)
- SUNY (23)
- Appalachian State University (6)
- North Carolina State University (5)
- University of North Carolina (3)
- Elizabeth City State University (3)
- Winston Salem State University (3)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- Educational Administration and Supervision Doctoral Degrees
- School Administration Master's Degrees
- Special Education Master's Degrees
- Special Education for Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) Graduate Certificates
- Statistics Education Graduate Certificates