What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Teaches mathematics in elementary to secondary schools. Elementary school teachers focus on basic arithmetic, with some basic algebra in middle school, graduating to geometry, algebra and eventually calculus in high school.
There were 1358 Math Teacher job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 25456 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Math Teacher industry, which includes the Math Teacher career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Math Teacher jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $47,639.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $44,104.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Math Teacher postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $42,309.
Education and Experience
Posted Math Teacher jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Math Teacher jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||58%|
|3 to 5 years||35%|
|6 to 8 years||3%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Math Teacher positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (28%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (23%)
- Planning (19%)
- Building Effective Relationships (13%)
- Physical Abilities (12%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Teaching (98%)
- Lesson Planning (23%)
- Special Education (10%)
- Learning Styles (7%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Algebra (15%)
- Geometry (10%)
- Progress Reports (8%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Tutoring (6%)
- Assessment Data (6%)
- Group Instruction (5%)
- Managing Student Data (4%)
- Algebra II (4%)
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Math Teacher skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Middle School Math Teacher
- High School Math Teacher
- Mathematics Teacher
- Secondary Math/Science Teacher
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- English / Language Arts Teacher
- Science Teacher
- History / Social Studies Teacher
- Physical Education Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher
- Middle / High School Teacher
- Reading Teacher
- Bilingual / ESL / Foreign Language Teacher
Here are the employers that have posted the most Math Teacher jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- K12, Inc (1033)
- Getselected Com (395)
- Clark County School District (208)
- Teach Iowa (116)
- Kipp Foundation (111)
- Wake County Schools (77)
- K12, Inc (43)
- Winston Salem County Schools (38)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (37)
- Cumberland County Schools (30)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- Mathematics Graduate Certificates
- Mathematics - Secondary Education Master's Degrees
- Mathematics Teaching and Learning Graduate Certificates
- NC Teach@NC State Teacher Licensure
- Special Education Master's Degrees
- Special Education for Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) Graduate Certificates
- STEM Education - Mathematics and Statistics Master's Degrees