Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) at NC State University provides excellent opportunities for practicing engineers, teachers and other mathematical professionals to stay well-versed of advances in the field of mathematics. While our Graduate Certificate in Mathematics can be completed entirely online, if you wish you may include on-campus courses, allowing you to reflect your learning style and interests.
Although not a graduate degree, the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics may satisfy your professional development needs. Should you later decide to pursue a graduate degree, coursework from this program may transfer. However, successful completion of this graduate certificate does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree program.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics online program, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Hold a B.A. or B.S. from an accredited undergraduate mathematics program with a GPA ≥ 3.0/4.0 or an overall GPA ≥ 2.8 and a major GPA ≥ 3.0.
- Be a degree student in good standing in a NC State University graduate program.
Applicants who do not meet the GPA requirements may be admitted provisionally based on relevant work experience and/or educational background. Students who are admitted provisionally must complete two of the courses required for the program with a grade of B or higher in each course in order obtain full admission. Contact the program coordinator Dr. Bevin Maultsbyfor details.
Applicants must submit:
- Final transcript of baccalaureate program
- Transcript of post-baccalaureate coursework
- Personal statement of reasons for pursuing the program
Current NC State University graduate students may submit a copy of their graduate school application and a personal statement of reasons for pursuing the program.
Plan of Study
Students take a combination of graduate and undergraduate mathematics courses that are tailored to the individual student. The certificate requires 12 hours of mathematics courses, taken for a grade at NC State. There is no specific list of courses for the certificate.
Of the 12 credits, 3 credits may be at the 400 (undergraduate) level; approval of the program director is required. The other 9 credits will be at the 500 (graduate) level or above. Students must complete at least one course per semester to remain in good standing. Students who have been out of school for some time or who need extra preparation before graduate courses may need to take additional 300- or 400-level courses prior to the 500-level courses. A grade of C- is required for a course to count toward the certificate. A 3.0 GPA (B average) is required to earn the certificate.
Mathematical skills are in high demand. Getting advanced training in mathematics equips you for a rewarding career in fields like education or engineering.
An increasing number of employers and government agencies rely on mathematical optimization, modeling, and analytics. Courses at NC State cover topics directly relevant to these mathematical challenges, from computational methods and approximation to abstraction, analysis, and cryptography. Our graduates hold positions in all levels of academia, in governmental agencies like the NSA, in national laboratories, and in the private sector.
What kinds of jobs are available to those with a graduate certificate or a master’s degree in mathematics?
- Inspire and motivate their students by discussing exciting applications and new developments such the use of linear algebra in search engines or the impact of Fourier analysis on signal processing.
- Explore and teach through multiple approaches including lectures, interactive learning activities, discussions, and hands-on projects.
- Prepare lessons and adapt instructional materials to suit their students’ needs and learning styles.
- Solve problems through modeling and computational methods.
- Find practical solutions to engineering problems through mathematical theories.
- Develop mathematical analysis models.
- Analyse data utilizing computational models.
- Encourage and motivate students to improve academic performance.
A Graduate Certificate in Mathematics equips you to stand out in this highly competitive and rapidly growing industry.