The Graduate Certificate in Family Life Education and Coaching prepares students to work with parents, professionals, and families as both family life educators and family life coaches. Family Life Educators (FLE) are strengths-based professionals who provide preventative education to families in organized efforts designed to impart information, skills, experiences, or resources to strengthen, improve, or enrich their family experience. Family Life Coaches (FLC) help clients through a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their potential, reach goals, and achieve happiness. Required courses are designed to strengthen the student’s understanding and application of the critical aspects of family life coaching, including a strengthened understanding of the fields of coaching psychology and family life education. The 12-credit graduate program can be completed entirely online.
Applicants must meet one of these three requirements for admission to the graduate certificate program:
- Be a graduate of an accredited four-year college or university, and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of graduation,
- Be a degree student in good standing in a NC State University graduate program, or
- Have a bachelor's degree.
Plan of Study
Four courses (12 credit hours) must be completed. Only 6 credits of any PBS or NDS course can transfer into our certificate program.
- All certificate requirements must be completed within four calendar years, beginning with the date the student commences the first course toward the certificate.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on all certificate course work.
- The minimum grade to receive certificate credit is "C."
- Students may take up to nine (9) credit hours of coursework as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS)/Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) student before being accepted to the certificate program.
- Transfer credit from other programs is not allowed.
Graduate certificate programs are an alternative to a full master’s degree. Our certificate programs are designed to prepare professionals to better serve in their roles as family life and parent educators and youth professionals.