Leadership and Volunteer Management
A Youth, Family, and Community Sciences Online Graduate Certificate in Leadership and Volunteer Management prepares students to work as leaders in community-based organizations. It prepares and strengthens future and current professionals to assume administrative positions and leadership roles within community-based youth or family development. Students gain a more comprehensive understanding of organizational leadership, as well as an applied understanding of effective management skills. The certificate is intended to enhance a student’s work in organizational administration and/or volunteer management including volunteer recruitment, retention, risk management, and recognition.
Applicants must meet one of these three requirements for admission to the graduate certificate program:
- Be a graduate of an accredited four-year college or university, and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of graduation,
- Be a degree student in good standing in a NC State University graduate program, or
- Have a bachelor's degree.
Plan of Study
Four courses (12 credit hours) must be completed. Only 6 credits of any PBS or NDS course can transfer into our certificate program.
- All certificate requirements must be completed within four calendar years, beginning with the date the student commences the first course toward the certificate.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on all certificate course work.
- The minimum grade to receive certificate credit is "C."
- Students may take up to nine (9) credit hours of coursework as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS)/Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) student before being accepted to the certificate program.
- Transfer credit from other programs is not allowed.
- Students must submit a Family and Youth Development Graduate Certificate Exit Form when all program requirements have been completed.
Many nonprofit and community volunteer organizations expect their leaders to possess advanced education credits. The graduate certificate programs offered at NC State are a respected alternative to a full master’s degree. In response to this demand, the Graduate Certificate in Leadership and Volunteer Management provides the administrative and leadership development skills necessary for career advancement in the community and nonprofit sector.