Engineering Project Manager
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Oversees and leads execution of engineering projects, and manages communication and coordination among different types of engineers working on a project. Supervises project schedule, budget, and communications with stakeholders.
There were 283 Engineering Project Manager job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 9786 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Engineering Manager industry, which includes the Engineering Project Manager career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new Engineering Project Manager jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $95,222.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $91,358.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for Engineering Project Manager postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $81,296.
Education and Experience
Posted Engineering Project Manager jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted Engineering Project Manager jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||11%|
|3 to 5 years||41%|
|6 to 8 years||18%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills Engineering Project Manager positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (44%)
- Planning (33%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (30%)
- Problem Solving (25%)
- Organizational Skills (18%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Project Management (76%)
- Budgeting (48%)
- Scheduling (36%)
- Project Planning and Development Skills (16%)
- Engineering Management (11%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Staff Management (13%)
- Customer Service (12%)
- Customer Contact (11%)
- Quality Assurance and Control (9%)
- Procurement (9%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Professional Engineer (6%)
- Cost Estimation (6%)
- Mechanical Engineering (6%)
- Engineering Projects (6%)
- Engineering Design and Installation (5%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Engineering Leadership (2%) – marginal value $3,362
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with Engineering Project Manager skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Restoration Project Manager
- Project Engineer Manager
- Cable Tv Design Engineer Program Manager
- Project Manager
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Mechanical Engineering Manager
- Engineering Manager (General)
- Operations Engineering Manager
- Industrial Engineering Manager
- Design Engineering Manager
- Product Engineering Manager
- Civil Engineering Manager
- Engineering Program Manager
- Electrical Engineering Manager
- Director of Engineering
Here are the employers that have posted the most Engineering Project Manager jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Humana (210)
- Jacobs Engineering Group Incorporated (188)
- Stantec, Inc. (187)
- Raytheon (155)
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (141)
- Cci Systems Incorporated (8)
- British American Tobacco (7)
- Raytheon (7)
- Merck & Company (6)
- Outside Box (6)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!
- 5G Technology Graduate Certificates
- ASIC Design and Verification Graduate Certificates
- Computer Engineering Graduate Certificates
- Electrical Engineering Master's Degrees
- Electrical Engineering Graduate Certificates
- Engineering Management Master's Degrees
- Engineering Management Foundations Graduate Certificates
- Forest Biomaterials Master's Degrees
- Materials Informatics Graduate Certificates