School Athletic Director
What Does a Professional in this Career Do?
Responsible for managing and overseeing a school's athletic program.
There were 28 School Athletic Director job postings in North Carolina in the past year and 618 in the United States.
In combination with other careers in the Elementary and Secondary School Administrator industry, which includes the School Athletic Director career, the following graph shows the number of people employed for each year since 2012:
Many new School Athletic Director jobs have salaries estimated to be in the following ranges, based on the requirements and responsibilities listed in job postings from the past year.
The average estimated salary in the United States for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $60,121.
The average estimated salary in North Carolina for this career, based on job postings in the past year, is $50,647.
Percentiles represent the percentage that is lower than the value. For example, 25% of estimated salaries for School Athletic Director postings in the United States in the past year were lower than $44,128.
Education and Experience
Posted School Athletic Director jobs typically require the following level of education. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list education requirements.
Posted School Athletic Director jobs typically require the following number of years of experience. The numbers below are based on job postings in the United States from the past year. Not all job postings list experience requirements.
|Years of Experience||Percentage|
|0 to 2 years||25%|
|3 to 5 years||67%|
|6 to 8 years||3%|
Below are listings of the most common general and specialized skills School Athletic Director positions expect applicants to have as well as the most common skills that distinguish individuals from their peers. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is also listed.
A skill that is required across a broad range of occupations, including this one.
- Communication Skills (24%)
- Planning (18%)
- Organizational Skills (18%)
- Physical Abilities (15%)
- Teamwork / Collaboration (14%)
A core skill for this occupation, it occurs frequently in job postings.
- Scheduling (42%)
- Teaching (38%)
- Budgeting (33%)
A skill that is requested frequently in this occupation but isn’t specific to it.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) (16%)
- Staff Management (11%)
- Fundraising (8%)
A skill that may distinguish a subset of the occupation.
- Community Relations (5%)
- Concussion Diagnosis / Treatment (5%)
Salary Boosting Skills
A professional who wishes to excel in this career path may consider developing the following highly valued skills. The percentage of job postings that specifically mention each skill is listed along with the marginal value: the average salary difference between postings that request that skill and those that do not.
- Football (1%) – marginal value $9,613
- Learning Styles (2%) – marginal value $3,949
- Community Relations (5%) – marginal value $3,060
- Staff Development (2%) – marginal value $2,522
- Concussion Diagnosis / Treatment (5%) – marginal value $2,357
Alternative Job Titles
Sometimes employers post jobs with School Athletic Director skills but a different job title. Some common alternative job titles include:
- Athletic Director
- Athletic Coordinator
- Assistant Athletic Director
- Assistant Principal/Athletic Director
- High School Athletic Director
If you are interested in exploring occupations with similar skills, you may want to research the following job titles. Note that we only list occupations that have at least one corresponding NC State Online and Distance Education program.
- Assistant School Principal
- Elementary and Secondary School Administrator
- School Principal
- Director of Special Education
- Student Support Administrator
- Physical Education Teacher
- History / Social Studies Teacher
- Superintendent (Education)
- English / Language Arts Teacher
Here are the employers that have posted the most School Athletic Director jobs in the past year along with how many they have posted.
- Springfield Public Schools (13)
- Teach Iowa (12)
- Kansas City Public Schools (6)
- Florida State University (5)
- Kanawha County School District (5)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (3)
- Cumberland County Schools (2)
- Davidson County (2)
- Eno River Academy Formerly Orange Charter School (2)
- Orange County Schools (2)
NC State Programs Relevant to this Career
If you are interested in preparing for a career in this field, the following NC State Online and Distance Education programs offer a great place to start!