Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Sport Management
The online Master of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Sport Management (MPRTSM) degree program provides students with the credentials, knowledge and practical insight required to advance careers in parks, recreation, tourism, and sports industries. Recognizing that most of our students need to continue working full-time while earning this degree, the program is tailored to working adults. It is intentionally designed to meet the very specific needs of professionals looking to advance their careers in these highly competitive industries.
Emphasis on key management functions indicative of parks, recreation, tourism, and sport industries ensure students graduate with a mastery of advanced principles and procedures of management and ethical leadership (e.g., administration, marketing, organizational behavior, risk management, finance and budgeting) for the delivery of recreation, parks, tourism, and sport services.
Applicants must submit:
- Completed application.
- Official transcripts.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0
- Personal Statement
- Three recommendations (including at least one academic reference).
Plan of Study
Graduate from one of the country’s leading master’s programs in two years while still working. Courses are aligned with the needs of each industry and are taught by an experienced faculty dedicated to providing students with the skills they will need to gain a competitive advantage in their chosen field. Students can continue to work full-time while taking one course at a time and still complete all degree requirements in two years.
The online Master of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Sport Management program basics:
- 31 credit hours to graduate
- Accelerated course format delivered through a variety of online technologies that facilitate student-to-student and student-to-instructor interactions. Students typically take one course at a time for 7 weeks (2 courses per 15-week semester). No GRE is required for applicants with a minimum of two years full-time professional work experience. Applicants with less than two years work experience will be required to take either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) to be considered for admission into the program.
- Students are admitted as a cohort in the fall semester of each year. Admitted students will attend an orientation at the beginning of their first semester (mid-August) and are invited to attend commencement activities when they graduate.
The flexible learning environment accommodates the demands of full-time employment. Contemporary instructional methods emphasize group discussions, frequent interactions with faculty and meaningful assignments that provide valuable skills and knowledge critical for career advancement.
Our students appreciate the following aspects of the program:
- Expansion of professional opportunities
- Can take one course at a time and still graduate in 2 years
- Average graduation rate of 93% of students in 2 years
- 7-week semesters
- No GRE required with two years work experience
Interested in working as a sports manager? How about a park director or a facilities manager? The following are just a few of the more popular careers our students pursue upon graduation:
- Community Center Director
- Recreation Program Director
- Events Coordinator
- Sport Facility Manager
- Sport Marketing and Sales Representative
- Park Operations Manager
- Parks and Recreation Director
Management education and experience is a must for these careers. After analyzing the skills working professionals need to advance in the fields of parks, recreation and tourism management, we have developed a program of study that delivers the knowledge and skills needed to grow in these coveted careers. With an emphasis on advanced management skills, students in the Master of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Sport Management program graduate with the knowledge and credentials needed to assume leadership and management positions.