Post-baccalaureate studies and training provide excellent opportunities for practicing engineers and other environmental professionals to stay abreast of new technologies and current government regulations. Our Graduate Certificate in Biological and Agricultural Engineering online program offers high-level coursework with the benefit of more in-depth study than offered in short courses and workshops. This program is a mixture of face-to-face and distance education courses, allowing you to select courses which reflect your interests and learning style.
With our Certificate program, you can formally certify competency in environmental engineering with an emphasis on watershed management and restoration. Although not a graduate degree, this Graduate Certificate in Biological and Agricultural Engineering online program may satisfy many of your needs for professional development. Should you later decide that a formal graduate degree best suits your needs, then some course work from this program may transfer. However, successful completion of this program does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree program.
Graduate Certificate in Biological and Agricultural Engineering Online Program Objectives
- Enable students and practitioners from many disciplines to study the technical and engineering aspects of design and analysis of environmental systems with an emphasis on the watershed-scale.
- Provide students the opportunity to develop a solid foundation in engineering systems targeted at environmental issues, particularly related to non-point sources and their impact on water quality at the watershed-scale.
- Provide practicing engineers and other professionals a source of graduate level engineering education in the environmental field.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Biological and Agricultural Engineering online program, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- B.S. in accredited undergraduate engineering program with a GPA ≥ 3.0/4.0 or an overall GPA ≥ 2.8 and a major GPA ≥ 3.0.
- B.S. in appropriate science curriculum with a GPA ≥ 3.0 and have completed calculus, differential equations, physics and chemistry with a C or better. A program that includes fluid mechanics or hydraulics is highly recommended.
*Courses include calculus, differential equations, physics and chemistry. Recommended to include fluid mechanics and hydraulics.
Other environmental professionals may qualify based on experience. Contact the program director for details.
Applicants must submit:
- Final transcript of Baccalaureate program
- Transcript of post Baccalaureate coursework
- Personal statement of reasons for pursuing the program
Current NC State graduate students may submit a copy of their graduate school application and a personal statement of reasons for pursuing the program.
Plan of Study
The Graduate Certificate requires 12 credits of coursework from a list of approved classes. At least 9 credits must be from BAE courses. A grade of C- or better is required to receive credit for a course. To receive a graduate certificate, the student must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on all certificate coursework.