Professional Communication and Managerial Skills
The Graduate Certificate in Professional Communication and Managerial Skills is designed to provide graduate students or working professionals with a common platform of courses that will enhance their communication skills and professional development. This 12-credit-hour program is housed in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHASS) and sponsored jointly by CHASS and the Poole College of Management. Students complete four 3-credit-hour courses: two in management and two in communication.
A minimum GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate and graduate work is required for admission.
Completion of a certificate program in no way guarantees entry into a graduate degree program, which is decided through a separate application process.
How to Apply
- Those applicants who are currently enrolled in an NC State graduate program need only provide the Graduate Student Certificate Plan Data Entry form. Complete the form and send two hard copies to Dr. Andrew Binder along with your resume or curriculum vitae. One copy will be forwarded to the Graduate School by the certificate office upon admission to the certificate program.
- An application for acceptance into a certificate program is required for all new applicants to NC State. The applicant must apply via the Graduate School application (opens in new tab). Upload unofficial transcripts, a brief personal statement, and a resume or curriculum vitae with your application. Letters of recommendation are not required for the certificate program. Simply leave that section of the Apply Yourself application blank.
- There is a fee for new applicants. NC State students currently enrolled in degree programs and wishing to add the certificate are not required to pay an application fee.
- New applications will be reviewed and applicants will be informed of the decision process by email.
- We welcome international students in the certificate program. Because all of our classes are distance education courses, no Form I-20 student visa is required for students living outside of the U.S.
Plan of Study
Students must complete the required 12 credit hours with an overall 3.0 GPA. Credit toward the certificate in a particular course will be given only if a grade of B- or better is earned in the course. All courses in the program must be taken for a letter grade. No course substitutions will be allowed except with prior approval from the program coordinator. No transfer credits will be accepted in the program, and it must be completed within four years.
A student may obtain more than one graduate certificate in distinct fields. Each certificate must have at least nine (9) credit hours which are unique to it. Students interested or enrolled in a Professional Science Masters (PSM) program should consult with the appropriate Graduate Program Director as to the applicability of certificate credit hours toward the PSM degree.
Whether you work in human resources, public relations, project management, or administration, career advancement requires exceptional communication and managerial skills. Tailored to working professionals, this program delves into the methodologies behind sound project management including practical use of the latest project management tools and software. The courses are designed to meet the needs of professionals who have a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated discipline—such as engineering, for example—and now need to deepen their knowledge in the business side of operations in order to grow their career into a higher level of management. The Graduate Certificate in Professional Communication and Managerial Skills provides the credentials and knowledge necessary to launch into the managerial and executive level of a professional career.